Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4-5)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 7-8 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped green onions for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add the celery, carrots and potatoes and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add the chicken broth and chopped parsley to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil and cover with lid.
Simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Puree with an immersion blender until mostly smooth and creamy (or add contents to a regular blender to puree and return back to pot). If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth for desired consistency.
Add heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste (and optional nutmeg) and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes. Top off with chopped green onions or sliced German sausage.